Designs, implements, and operates software applications. Trained in business, expert programmer with a lifetime of experience, driven by genuine passion for Information Technology. LinkedIn, GitHub, Stack Overflow
thatDot • Senior Software Engineer • 2021-2022
thatDot is a pre-seed startup building a streaming data platform with innovative features such as an integrated graph database for stateful computation.
Programmed and supported product features, and improved quality of distributed software system. Scala, Akka, Akka Streams, Akka HTTP, Alpakka, Unix
- Developed Recipe, a YAML file that implements a thatDot use-case. Recipes describe how to read records from streaming sources, transform and write records to graph database, and output records to streaming destinations.
- Implemented support for additional data sources and destinations:
- Unix named pipes
- AWS Kinesis
- Added Cypher language features:
- Variable length pattern matching
- Regular expressions
- Functions for time modelling and indexing
- Developed product integration test to drive scenarios, and assert correctness. Included cloud deployment. CDK
- Implemented multipart snapshots for unlimited persistent record sizes.
Formant • Senior Software Engineer • 2018-2021
Formant is a series A startup offering robotic data collection, visualization, and controls. Web application includes telemetry visualization and export, fleet management, user comments and annotations, and service integration.
Developed full-stack metric collection and reporting application. Athena, Canvas, CloudWatch, DataDog, Google Sheets, Kafka, Kinesis, Kubernetes, Looker, NodeJS, PostgreSQL, React, S3, SVG, Tableau, TypeScript
- Improved telemetry ingestion by leveraging real-time stream processing, to improve performance and scalability, and to implement summarization and export to S3.
- Implemented Annotations, to allow telemetry to be augmented with user input. Included building custom UI component for time-series data, and database modeling and optimization.
- Implemented Fleets feature to organize robot data, including data models, APIs, configuration pages, and dashboard for real-time display of robot metrics.
- Implemented Commands, which allows messages to be sent to robots to invoke custom behavior, and are triggered manually or by evaluation of telemetry, and developed data models, APIs, and frontend for sending and reviewing Commands.
- Improved product observability by collection of metrics and continuous automated integration testing of full application stack.
- Integrated with downstream services to support analytics, and developed reports and dashboards.
Sunsama • Software Architect • 2017-2018
Sunsama is a seed startup with a unique team calendar and task management application.
Developed and operated full software stack. React, GraphQL, NodeJS, Meteor, MongoDB
- Developed UI features with real-time reactivity across connected browsers. Web Sockets
- Integrated with Google Calendar and Google sign-in. OAuth
- Built portable desktop application. Electron
- Managed build and infrastructure. AWS, EC2, ECS, CloudWatch, Terraform, Jenkins, Docker, Bash
MobileRQ • Software Architect • 2015-2017
MobileRQ enables targeted content delivery and push notifications for mobile and web applications. Acquired by Kochava in 2017.
- Implemented distributed cache and matching engine to evaluate customer-defined predicates with customer data. Apache Ignite
- Ported data ingestion pipeline from SQS to Kinesis to reduce cost, improve performance and extensibility.
Janrain • Software Architect • 2013-2015
Janrain was a series D startup providing social identity and user profile management services for web sites and mobile applications.
- Designed and implemented services for managing configuration data, featuring a DSL for modeling and transforming data over a graph database. Scala
- Built analytics products that leverage user profile and event data, including vendor evaluations, coordination with product owners, and facilitation of process meetings. Implemented ETL, data access, and visualization. Scala, Apache Spark, AWS EMR, S3, AWS Redshift, SQL, Tableau
Marin Software allows advertisers to manage online marketing campaigns across a variety of publishers, including Google and Facebook.
- Developed search features and performance improvements. ElasticSearch
ClearAccess Inc. • Senior Engineer • 2009-2012
ClearAccess provided Auto-Configuration Server (ACS) software and customer-premises equipment (CPE) firmware to deliver device management based on the Broadband Forum's TR-069 standard. Acquired by Cisco Systems in March 2012.
- Developed search and reporting features, including data indexing process, custom query language, parser, and UI query builder.
- Worked on TR-069 extensibility supported by user-facing scripts.
QUALCOMM, Inc. • Senior Engineer • 2001-2009
Qualcomm designs, manufactures, and markets wireless telecommunications products and services based on its CDMA technology, and delivers integrated wireless applications and services.
- Implemented application features used by drivers of long-haul tractor-trailers. C, C++, C#, Windows CE
- Created algorithms for processing and visualization of driver logs according to FMCSA Hours-of-Service regulations. C, Java
- Maintained and responsible for build automation for multi-platform product SDK. Perl
- Updated desktop application develop environment for BREW phone applications. Python, wxWidgets
- Supported IT infrastructure for Portland office, including workstations for 50+ employees, on-premises servers, LAN/WAN, and telecommunications equipment.
Graduated August 2001 with honors. Coursework included:
- Unix, C, C++, C#/.NET, data structures, algorithms
- SQL, data modeling, database management
- Computer networking
- Business, finance, marketing